Looks like you’re on the UK site. Choose another location to see content specific to your location

Home Industry News BVA warns pet owners against risk of hazardous Christmas treats

BVA warns pet owners against risk of hazardous Christmas treats

21st December 2017

The British Veterinary Association (BVA) has issued a reminder to pet owners about the potential hazards their domestic animals may face during Christmas.

During the 2016 festive period, 81 percent of vets across the UK saw at least one case of toxic ingestion in pets, with 74 percent of instances being due to dogs experiencing chocolate poisoning.

A spike in raisin or sultana poisoning has also been observed over the past two years, with 54 percent of vets reporting treating a case during last year's festive season. Other potential causes of harm include antifreeze, festive decorations, gift wrapping and seasonal plants such as lilies and poinsettias.

As such, pet owners have been reminded of the need to keep potentially toxic food items out of the reach of animals, and to provide pets with toys as gifts instead of unhealthy treats.

BVA president John Fishwick said: "Many pet owners are aware of the risks of chocolate or other festive foods being toxic for their pets but, as our survey shows, it's easy to be caught out by a kind gift left under the tree or a treat left out on the table."

With over 20 years of experience within the animal health market, we at Zenopa have the knowledge, skills and expertise to help find the right job for you. To find out more about the current animal health roles we have available, you can search for the latest job roles, register your details, or contact the team today.

We currently have 8 jobs available in Pharmacy industry, find your perfect one now.

Stay informed

Receive the latest industry news, Tips
and straight to your inbox.