Looks like you’re on the UK site. Choose another location to see content specific to your location

Home Industry News Zoetis and Roslin Institute agree salmonella research alliance

Zoetis and Roslin Institute agree salmonella research alliance

5th August 2013

Zoetis has agreed a new collaboration with the Roslin Institute at the University of Edinburgh to further understanding of salmonella infections in cattle.

Using funding from the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC), the organisations will investigate how salmonella enters and persists within the bovine lymphatic system, leading to contamination of beef for human consumption.

Over three years, the BBSRC will contribute 80 percent of the funding for the study, with Zoetis providing the remaining 20 percent plus in-kind services via research materials and expertise.

Salmonella is estimated to cause about 94 million cases of foodborne disease in humans and 155,000 deaths annually.

Dr Michelle Haven, senior vice-president for corporate development for alliances and solutions at Zoetis, said: "Funding from the BBSRC allows The Roslin Institute to work strategically with Zoetis on important Salmonella research in cattle, which impacts animal and human health and safety of the food supply across the globe."

Zoetis is the former animal health division of Pfizer, which became an independent business earlier this year.ADNFCR-8000103-ID-801620882-ADNFCR

We currently have 6 jobs available in Pharmacy industry, find your perfect one now.

Stay informed

Receive the latest industry news, Tips
and straight to your inbox.